Thursday, October 6, 2011

The art of setting.

To set a new route is not always about being a good climber, you need to have an idea, a vision, and you have to be able to realize it. This is where I have become completely addicted to setting. So many ideas, so many projects in my mind, all trying to breakout. The problem is... I tend to take a long time setting a route, sometimes up to 4 hours. I plan it out like an architect would a house, or a grand building. Each new section has to complement the last, the flow has to be solid from the start to the finish or the whole structure falls apart. I like setting volume routes, giving each person options in their motions or beta. To me, climbing an indoor route is an act of creation, to repeat a climb is to meet the routes creator, to listen to his story, to feel his strength or weakness. It means to force yourself to understand a world, to participate in it's founding and ultimately through your ascent, to become part of that history. There are many ways to climb a route, but truly, the only way should be your way.

I set a new route today on wall 2. It's named 'For Old Warriors' 5.11-
give it a try and please come back and tell me what you think:)

Peace everyone,
-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment